Monday, June 11, 2012

A word about 'The Simpsons'

I'm watching The Simpsons - Christmas DVD, consisting of 5 episodes from 1989 to 2001, and am cracking up consistently.


The Simpsons has been named the greatest show of all time (by Empire magazine), and as the greatest kids' show (though I couldn't recommend it to anyone under age 8).  Both of those accolades are very definitely deserved.  I can't think of a better show I've seen…then again, I'm more inclined toward the cinema than the boob tube.  I used to not be much, though.

From ages seven to nine, I stopped watching it for the stupidest reason ever: because of Treehouse of Horror VI (1995), where Homer repeatedly screams "Crap!" as he goes into the vortex in "Homer3."  Later I got back into it, and in ninth and tenth grade saw every episode through season seven.

But it hasn't been till now that I've truly appreciated everything about it.

Sadly, on my movie review blog, I think I'll give The Simpsons Movie a 3-out-of-5 rating.  The plot development is as good as any episode, but the jokes are not up to scratch by show standards.  The only exception is at the beginning: "AMERICAN IDIOT - FUNERAL VERSION."

Even the later episodes might not be as bad as I used to think.

Now for your next hint: This actor was a guest star on The Simpsons in the thirteenth season.

No comments:

Post a Comment