Wednesday, September 26, 2012

From death to the screen

Today, it's been four years since Paul Newman passed away.

Originally I didn't find out until the day after, but that day was one of the saddest days of my life.  Newman is my favorite actor of all time, and even now I have nothing but "why's?"

Why couldn't he have lived through cancer?  Some people, even celebrities, get it and live.

Why couldn't he have been in Cars 2 as well as Cars?  It might have alleviated the persona of Mater (voice of Larry the Cable Guy), who'd become Pixar's answer to Jar-Jar Binks.

Why couldn't he have gone on to act further?  He was eighty-three, but some actors were born before or not long after him and are still alive and working today.

In our society we are not allowed to grieve anymore, or else we are prescribed antidepressants.  My parents, who are old-fashioned, believe that grieving is a part of life.  I guess, and I've been thinking less about "that news" through the years.

But if the Newman estate will permit me, he will be the actor I've been hiding from you readers, who will play the protagonist's great-uncle.  I will do it in the same manner that they used to bring LBJ, Nixon, John Lennon, et al back to the screen in Forrest Gump.

And when I cast my Fairly OddParents adaptation, I will choose a Newman look-alike for the role of Timmy. (Well, they both have blue eyes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment